The Q&A Archives: Mailbox Landscape

Question: I have 3 independent mailboxes 2 yds from the corner of my driveway. Do you have any ideas to make the area appear groomed? The area is 6' x 3'. They are 1 ft away from our road. In the winter the salt trucks pile the snow and salt on the sides of the road. I would like perennial plants/flowers, but something that would not attract bees - protect the mailman. It is all weeds w/full sun exposure.

Answer: Not many plants will tolerate salt. Below are flowers that take full sun and intense heat in the Southwest where I garden, which also includes alkaline (salty) soil. It's not exactly the same as road salt, but should be a good starting place to experiment. For perennials, consider coreopsis, yarrow, butterfly weed (asclepias), lavender, catmint, gaillardia. Warm-season annuals that take heat and sun include sunflowers, zinnia, cosmos, salvia, vinca, tithonia, black-eyed Susan, portulaca, celosia, globe amaranth, verbena, four o?clock, and lisianthus. Good luck!