The Q&A Archives: River Birch Tree Problem

Question: Our River Birtch tree suffered some damage about 4 years ago during a hurricane In Virginia. It actually fell over on the ground during the storm. It has not recovered and it has been 4 years. In the meantime, we added a salt water swimming pool that will drain off towards the tree. Could this be hurting the tree and are there any recommendations on treating the problem?

Answer: I don't think the saline water from your pool is going to do the roots of your birch tree any favors. I suspect you will see poor growth and yellowing/browing leaves early in the season, and a stunted growth habit. Since the tree has already suffered some damage from the hurricane and reportedly has never really recovered, I'd think seriously about removing the tree - or at least moving it to a better spot in the landscape. It may establish and grow well for you when it is not subjected to runoff from your salt water pool. Best wishes with your landscape.