The Q&A Archives: Aphids on okra

Question: What's the best way to rid my okra plants of aphids? They're in containers, not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Answer: Aphids love the tender new growth of any plant and since okra develops new leaves all summer long, I think your plant is a magnet for them. Generally you can simply hose the aphids off the leaves to control them but if the population returns after a simple hosing down, you may have to resort to using Insecticidal Soap. This may or may not damage the leaves of your okra plant so you might want to use it on a small portion of your plant to see how it reacts. When I use insecticidal soap on plants I know are sensitive to it I spray late in the afternoon or very early morning before the sun shines directly on the plant, allow the spray remain for about 10 minutes, and then rinse it off. You may need to do this with your okra, as well. Best wishes with your plants.