The Q&A Archives: Controlling White flies on Hibiscus

Question: I have an indoor hibiscus tree that is infested with white flies. I have been spraying it about every 2 weeks for about 6 months with a product called Safer Insecticidal Soap. I still can't get rid of the white flies. Any suggestions? I even pruned itdown to nothing once before I sprayed. As soon as leaves grew back, the flies returned. Carol Dunn Hanover, CT

Answer: First of all, be sure that none of your other house plants are infested; they could be the source of your reinfestation. Try spraying more often -- once a week or more -- this spray is quite mild and should not harm the plant. When you spray, be sure to include the undersides of the leaves. In the spring, when the weather warms up, you might try placing the plant outdoors for a while (be sure to acclimate it to the harsh sun by placing out for only a short time the first few days and increasing the amount of time outdoors over a few weeks).