The Q&A Archives: hydrangeas

Question: I've had some hydrangea shrubs for several years now and notice every year I have fewer blooms. This year I'm afraid I'll get next to none. I do add 0-20-0 every spring and fall but it doesn't seem to help. How can I get my shrubs to rebloom profusely again? Plants are big and healthy but no flowers.

Answer: If your hydrangeas are producing fewer and fewer blooms each year perhaps they are getting less and less sun than they originally had. Sometimes trees and shrubs surrounding your plants can grow enough over the years to block sunshine. Your hydrangeas should get at least 4 hours of morning sun each day. If not, they will grow well but not flower. Since hydrangeas develop blooms on the new growth of the season, you might try pruning them back each spring to increase the branching and the potential for flowers. I hope this helps!