The Q&A Archives: Insects

Question: I have a large amount of perennials and the insects are eating them, what can I use besides the soapy water that I already have applied?

Answer: While gardens sometimes fall prey to insects and diseases, you can ensure a healthy garden by preparing the soil well prior to planting, providing adequate sunlight, air circulation, food and water to your plants. Healthy plants are less prone to insect and disease problems. If you monitor the plants in your garden, pinching off diseased-looking plant parts as soon as you see them and removing insects by hand, you shouldn't have any major problems. However if the insects are taking over, you can use a general purpose insect spray such as Bayer Advanced or Ortho. Be sure to apply according to label directions.