The Q&A Archives: Barberry Bush

Question: I want to prune bushes we have and would like to know the best time for this. I am not sure of the spelling, but I believe it is something like Barberry. It has small green leaves and sometimes red berries. If important, how can I identify it? Thanks

Answer: You can prune your barberry in early spring just as new growth begins, or in late summer after it has finished flowering. If you prune in late summer after it has flowered you will be pruning off any potential berries. If berry production is important to you, wait until next spring to prune. Barberries can take any amount of pruning but just to be on the safe side, try not to remove more than about one third of the shrub in any pruning session. Enjoy your landscape!