The Q&A Archives: Bergenia

Question: What might be the reason my Bergenia's did not bloom this year? They are located at the base of a standing bird bath.

Answer: I'm not sure why your plants did not bloom this year. Perhaps they are overcrowded and need dividing? Overcrowded plants can compete for moisture and nutrients and flowering can be suspended. You might consider digging and dividing them.

Bergenia will tolerate a wide range of lighting, soil and moisture conditions, however the optimum conditions for these plants are sun, (light shading from hot sun) and moist, rich humus soil. In the coldest areas of the country, if your Bergenias are growing in full sun, they should be covered lightly with mulch, to prevent burn. You should also provide protection by planting a shrub or placing a boulder as a wind block if you live in an area prone to strong, cold winter winds.
Bergenias may be planted either in the spring or early fall. The best time to divide them is in the spring, after they have finished blooming.

Best wishes with your garden.