The Q&A Archives: Planting a Privacy Hedge in a Narrow Space

Question: We have an extremely narrow space in which we would like to plant a privacy hedge. I have found two possibilities: (1) Juniperus scopulorum 'Skyrocket' (2) Thuja occidentalis 'Emerald'. Although different heights, both are an ideal width for our space (2'). Because the space is hemmed in by a narrow sidewalk, we need to plant young plants with small initial root balls. Which of these two plants would grow at the fastest rate? (We are in a hurry for our privacy.) Any other reason to prefer oneover the other? Thanks. P. Glowacki Chicago, IL

Answer: Juniperus scopulorum grows at the rate of 6-12 inches a year; I can not find information on the rate of growth for the variety 'Skyrocket'. Thuja occidentalis has a slow (as above) to medium rate of growth. The arborvitae (Thuja) can withstand light shading, while the juniper prefers full sun. Both will grow faster in full sun.