The Q&A Archives: wisteria that won't flower

Question: I have a wisteria which was planted in 1990. It has never flowered. Last year I tried to root prune it by insertein a spade into the earth about 18 inches from the trunk. It has plenty of green foliage and grows new vines each year but no flowers. It is planted near a deck and faces in a southerly direction so it receives plenty of sun. But still no flowers. This year the only it produced other than foliage was a bird's nest with three birds. My question is waht to do to get it to flower, pruning etc. Also, what if anything should I do with it at this time of the year.

Answer: Wisteria plants will bloom early if they are budded, or grafted onto a rootstock. Most plants sold at nurseries are grafted - but sometimes seedlings are sold, and they won't bloom for years. Let's consider that yours is probably a seedling and should be ready to bloom within a year or two. This winter prune out or thin out some of the side shoots and long streamers, but don't prune off the flower spurs (thickened and different-looking than the rest of the wood). Don't fertilize this summer, and pinch out some of the buds that form late in the season on the trunk and old stems. Next summer you should have flowers, or at least the plant should begin to develop flowering spurs. Watch carefully and don't prune these off accidentally! Good luck!