The Q&A Archives: Make Hydrangeas Turn Blue

Question: I have 2 year old Blue moon (Macrophyllas)now they are pink and in containers. Can you please tell me what to add to the soil to make them turn blue? Thank you.

Answer: Pink and red hydrangeas often turn blue or purple in acid soils. Blue hydrangeas can turn pink in alkaline soils. Plants can be made (or kept) blue by applying aluminum sulfate to the soil; plants can be kept pink by liming the soil or applying superphosphate. Since your soil is alkaline, as evidenced by the change from blue to pink, add aluminum sulfate to the soil this fall and next year's blooms should be blue. Simply mix 3-4 Tablespoons of aluminum sulfate to a gallon of water and use it to water your containerized hydrangeas once every 6 weeks beginning this fall. When flower buds begin to form next spring, stop applying the soil conditioner. The flowers should be blue. Enjoy!