The Q&A Archives: mulch with some weed seeds in it

Question: If I move the pine needle mulch then put down weed block; then use the pine needle mulch for paths around the yard - will the weeds in the mulch come up next spring? The mulch will be on top of the weed block and not on any dirt. I should be able to complete this project soon so hopefully the seeds will die during this hot weather of summer.

Answer: It isn't likely that weeds will grow in the pine needle mulch, especially if you put weed block fabric down first. Pine needles are acidic which will keep most weed seeds from sprouting if they happen to travel in by the wind or are dropped by birds. And, I've found that if weeds do sprout in a thick layer of mulch they are extremely easy to pull because their roots are in loose mulch as opposed to firmly entrenched in soil. I think your plan is an excellent one. Enjoy your garden!