The Q&A Archives: potted patio palm

Question: i have apotted patio palm which has gotton quite big, (it about 2 feet tall now and very bushy), it has many many palm stalks and fronds and i was wondering if this was a plant that could be split as i have friends and family who all love my patio palm and want one themselves.

Answer: I'm afraid palms have a single root system, and even if they send out more than one trunk it would be chancy to try to divide your palm tree. If you split the plant both divisions could die because neither would have a complete root system. If you are willing to take the risk, you can upot your palm and with a sharp shovel dig between the trunks to separate them. I think it would be better to grow a new palm from seeds (available online) or simply purchase a similar plant for your friend or family member!