The Q&A Archives: Blanching Celery

Question: I've heard that one must 'blanch' celery plants. I think this is to mean something about pulling the stalks together or something, for whatever reason. Is it manditory to do so, how is it done, and what are the benefits/consequences?

Answer: Blanching celery will help keep the stalks from tasting bitter, and keep the color a lighter green. You can blanch by gradually pulling the soil up around the plants as they grow, keeping the leaves exposed. Or, you can shut out the sun by proping boards along each side of the row and securing them to stakes. Blanching is not absolutely necessary. Why not try blanching some of your celery plants, and leaving some alone. Then you can have a taste test and decide which method you prefer.