The Q&A Archives: Oakleaf sumacs

Question: Do I have to add anything to the soil? Live in Sparks, Nv. And are they
poisonous? When I bought it I asked and the young girl did not know.

Answer: Oakleaf sumac is a fast-growing and adaptable species that is fully
cold hardy and drought hardy, once established. You won't need to add anything to your soil but you should plan on watering regularly this summer and into the fall months while it establishes its root system. Oakleaf sumac will grow in all but the most poorly drained or salty soils, and is tolerant of heavy soils and high fertility. This species can also handle either full sun or partial shade. It is tolerant of pruning and can be shaped, hedged, or even sheared to the ground without damage. Oakleaf sumac is not poisonous (but it is not considered edible, either, so don't chew on it!) Native people made baskets out of the branches so it won't hurt you to handle the plant.