The Q&A Archives: Tomato Plants

Question: My tomato plants look great and have nice size green tomatoes. These past two days the leaves started to curl and a couple are turning yellow please help.

Answer: I'm not sure there's anything seriously wrong with your plants. It's natural for some of the lower (older leaves) to begin yellowing in mid-summer. If your plants are wilting suddenly, or if the leaves turn brown, then you might be dealing with a disease. Leaves can curl as a result of excessive heat (they roll the sides under the top to conserve moisture), or because they need more frequent deep watering, or just because they want to curl - for no apparent reason! You can remove the yellowing leaves. Just continue to give your plants good care and they should produce a bountiful harvest. Enjoy!