The Q&A Archives: Lilac trees care

Question: I need to know how to care for my lilac trees/bushes. They look wilted, the leaves. What can I feed them or use to fertilize them?

Answer: Lilacs should be watered deeply once a week. Make a watering well or basin beneath the plant and flood the basin, allow to drain, then flood it a second time. Do this once each week during the growing season (unless there's at least an inch of rain per week). Amending the soil will help it drain quickly, yet hold just the right amount of moisture. A watering basin beneath the plant will concentrate the moisture directly over the root system and allow it to trickle down and wet the entire root mass. Both these things should make your lilac happy. You can feed with a general purpose garden fertilizer that is low in nitrogen such as a 5-10-10 or 10-20-20 to help promote flowering. Best wishes with your lilac!