The Q&A Archives: learning about florida planting

Question: I have recently moved from NY where I had a successful organic garden.
I see the soil is totally
different in SW Florida
& the tomatoes I tried were a failure. When is
the best time to plant
tomatoes? Many people have told me that the soil is so bad I should use pots. Is this true?
I need advice.

Answer: Here's a publication from the University of Florida Extension Service that I know you will find helpful:

It addresses soils, planting dates, and even the best varieties to grow in Florida. After reading this you'll discover that you don't need to grow in containers - you can amend your soil with organic matter to help improve it. And, growing seasons are different in Florida than they are in New York. Once you have a better understanding of what and when to plant, and how to prepare your garden bed, I think you will be successful with your organic vegetable garden. Best wishes in your new home!