The Q&A Archives: Outdoor Culture of Sambac Jasmine

Question: I purchased a sambac jasmine plant for outdoor planting.
Can find information only for indoor planting. Can you furnish information on stambac jasmine for outdoor planting
such as where, sun, fertilizers, diseases, etc.

Answer: This plant is also known as Arabian Jasmine, and is thought to be native to Southeast Asia or India, so is recommended for outdoor growing only in regions that are completely free of frost danger. Since Boca Raton doesn't have frost very often, you should be able to grow it outside, as long as you can provide protection on those rare occasions. Otherwise, they have simple requirements: full or partial sun and well-drained soil. Enrich your soil with compost before planting, and topdress with compost as well. Cover the topdressing with bark chips or other organic mulch to equalize soil moisture. During the first year, it's critical to water regularly to help the shrub get established. There may be other specific tips for growing this plant outdoors, but, like you, I've been unable to track down more information. If there are tropical plant nurseries or botanical gardens in your area, the staff there should be able to give you more in-depth, and perhaps even first-hand, clues that aren't in my texts. Best of luck!