The Q&A Archives: Lawn in Sandy Soil

Question: My property has a mix of soil and sand, can I still grow new grass on this type of soil?

Answer: If your soil is sandy but also has enough organic matter in it, then you may be able to grow a lawn. (If it turns out that lawn grasses would be very difficult to grow, you might also consider some alternative groundcovers.) In order to determine if it is possible and figure out what amendments are needed in order to establish a healthy lawn quickly, you will need to perform a soil test and interpret the results. Your Ocean County Extension office should be able to assist you with this, and should also have some recommendations about the best grass varieties for your particular type of soil and location. Their phone number is 349-1247.