The Q&A Archives: Caesalpinia Sources

Question: I would like to order a Caesalpinia or Red Bird of Paradise plant and have it delivered to my sister in Morgan Hill, California. What garden company has these available and will they grow in northern California?

Answer: There are several beautiful Caesalpinia species available. The one commonly known as Red Bird of Paradise, Caesalpinia pulcherrima has orange and yellow flowers and is hardy to about 30 degrees. Caesalpinia gilliesii, Desert/yellow Bird of Paradise is the hardiest of the common Caesalpinias reportedly able to withstand 10 degrees. Its blooms are yellow with long red stamens. Caesalpinia mexicana features bright yellow blooms and will take temperatures down to about 18 degrees.

C. gilliesii and C. pulcherrima are available in seed form from: Brudy's Exotics; P.O. Box 820874; Houston Tx. 77282-0874; Phone 1-800-926-7333.

C. gilliesii is available in plant form from Forest Farm; 990 Tetherow Rd.; Williams, OR 97544-9599; phone orders (541) 846-7269.

Another source in your area to try is: Arid Zone Trees; 9750 E. Germann Road; Mesa, AZ 85208
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 167 Queen Creek, AZ 85242
Phone 602-987-9094

They grow quite rapidly from seed with moderate watering and fertilizer. In areas where one of the species may not be fully hardy, they may either be grown in a container and moved indoors during severe cold, or mulched heavily and allowed to freeze to the ground from which they usually will return the following growing season.

Thanks for your question. I hope this helps!