The Q&A Archives: Giant Pumpkin

Question: I am trying to grow a giant pumpkin. I have heard that putting an IV drip into the pumpkin stem aids in the development of a giant pumpkins. Is this true? If so what kind of solution do I put in the IV and at what rate should the IV flow? Where on the stem does the IV go? Will it also work for cucumbers?

Answer: Giant pumpkins can be grown by sowing seeds of a huge-growing hybrid like 'Atlantic Giant', using lots of manure in the soil, and applying copious amounts of water throughout the season. An IV is an interesting idea, but not a workable one. To ensure your pumpkin vine grows an award winning pumpkin, select one fruit on each vine and remove all of the competing fruit. This will channel all of the vine's energy into maturing just one gigantic pumpkin. There are other tricks (none of which include an IV) in a book titled "How to Grow World-Class Giant Pumpkins", by Don Langevin (Annedawn Publishing, P. O. Box 247, Norton, MA 02766; ISBN# 0-9632793-4-3.