The Q&A Archives: Interplanting Bulbs

Question: If I plant bulbs in the spring for late spring/early summer, can I plant annuals right over them (once the blooms and plants are gone)? And if the answer is "yes", how am I supposed to plant bulbs in the fall when my annuals are still in bloom? (I won't even get into my confusion about how the heck one keeps track of the timing and spacing of bulbs and perernnials!) Help! Ruth Brown Philadelphia, PA

Answer: Yes, you can plant bulbs and interplant annuals. By the time you are ready to do your fall bulb planting, your annuals will be lookin' pretty bad and you'll want to pull them out. We're talking October. I know one person who makes a map of all her bulbs but you could mark them with plant labels or popsicle sticks. Have fun!