The Q&A Archives: What is causing this?

Question: Our plant leaves are turning yellow on our tomato plants, segos, large leaf philadendrum and other plants. Are they lacking something, or could it be heat stress. I have seen plants in other yards that are doing the same thing. Thank you very much, Sharon

Answer: Without seeing the plants I can't give you a positive diagnosis but if other plants in the neighborhood are doing the same thing, I'd bet it is weather related. Your soils tend to be alkaline so sometimes an application of iron will help things green up. I use Ironite on my landscape plants and they seem to green up right away. You might try this with yours, too. But the bottom line is that if the plants are heat stressed, they can develop yellowing leaves and growth will be poor. All you can do is wait for cooler temperatures. Best wishes with your landscape.