The Q&A Archives: How to grow a pineapple

Question: I bought a pineapple plant at homedepot and want all the details on how to grow and how it needs planting .And will it freeze basically I wantto know all on pineapples Thanks

Answer: Pineapple is a tropical plant, native to southern Brazil and Paraguay. Growing pineapples in humid areas gives a better yield. However, with the right care, it is possible to grow a healthy crop even in temperate regions. A pineapple plant produces fruit once in a lifetime and will then die.

Pineapple plants grow well in a temperature ranging from 65oF to 95oF. Although it tolerates cold temperatures for a short period during nights, the growth of a pineapple plant gets stunted and fruits become acidic, when it is exposed to lower temperatures for a longer time. A sunny site and well-drained soil, rich in organic matter is the best for growing pineapples.

Since you get cold winter temperatures why not keep your pinapple in a container to grow outdoors this summer then bring it indoors to grow as a houseplant during the fall and winter months? This way you can coax it into bearing fruit. Hope it does!