The Q&A Archives: strawberries

Question: wild strawberries are overtaking parts of my lawn. How do i get rid of them without killing the grass?

Answer: To my knowledge there's no product available to kill the strawberries without harming your lawn. Wild strawberries can be weeded out successfully by hand but it takes repeated efforts over a long period of time and you must be sure to remove the entire crown as well as any runners each time you weed. Where the strawberries are not touching a desirable plant, you might consider treating them individually with a herbicide containing glyphosate. Or you can spot treat them in your lawn with the knowledge that glyphosate will also kill the lawn and you'll have to reseed. Be sure to read and follow label instructions.