The Q&A Archives: Flowering time of Asiatic Lily

Question: I have a group of newly transplanted Asiatic Lillies on the east side of my home, next to the house. They bloomed a beautiful pink but the flowers shriveled rather quickly - two weeks. Each stalk had 4-6 blooms, now they look awful! The foliage is still glossy green. What's up?

Answer: Blooms that last two weeks is actually doing quite well. Lilies usually put on their show and then you have foliage. With some lilies, but not all, you can coax a second wave of bloom by pinching off the dead bloom and not allowing a seed pod to form. You report that the foliage is still glossy green, so it sounds to me like the lilies are doing fine. I know it's a disappointment when they stop blooming, gardening is a bittersweet hobby indeed.