The Q&A Archives: Zinnia pests

Question: I have planted zinnias and they are doing pretty well. They are in full bloom with plenty of buds. However, it appears as though some of the petals on the flowers are being eaten, but I do not see any bugs. What can I do?

Answer: If you've examined your plants and cannot find any insect pests the most likely culprits are slugs or snails, or even hungry earwigs. These pests feed at night so you're not likely to find them munching your flowers during the day. Slugs and snails can be handpicked in the late evening or early morning, or you can use a slug/snail control such as Sluggo. Earwigs can be trapped and disposed of by laying dampened, rolled up newspapers in the garden at dusk. Earwigs crawl in overnight to hide and in the morning you can pick up the newspaper traps and toss them in the garbage. Repeat as often as necessary to reduce the population of the pests. Good luck with your zinnias.