The Q&A Archives: Elephant Ears

Question: I bought some large elephant ear bulbs, the end of May, but there wasn't instructions with them to plant them in sun,shade or partial shade. I planted them in a nursery pot, to monitor their growth, as I wasn't sure they would grow. They both have 2 leaves on each of them. Will they grow OK in the shade, with my hostas? Thanks, Claudia Jones

Answer: Elephant ear's will grow perfectly well in a shady spot. If your hosta's are happy there, your elephant ear's will be happy, too. Planting in containers is a good idea. Elephant ear's are frost tender and you will need to dig the bulbs and store them over the winter months. Having planted them in containers, digging should be easy. They like moist soil, bright shade and an occasional feeding. Use a diluted 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 fertilizer to feed them. Half strength water soluable fertilizer such as Miracle Gro or Peter's houseplant fertilizer will give them the nutrients they need without the fear of overfeeding and burning the roots. Enjoy your plants!