The Q&A Archives: How to work with the roots

Question: I want to build a raised ring around a Red Maple in my front yard. The tree was improperly planted with the crown way above ground in a mulched and dirt

Answer: It will be best for your tree to construct your ring around the tree beneath the canopy, quite a ways away from the exposed roots. You shouldn't plan on covering the exposed roots with soil - it can rot the roots and compromise the health of your tree. But you could build a ring of stones or bricks on the flat ground in front of the raised roots and then plant directly behind the ring. You might also be able to plant a few plants directly in the ground between the roots to give the planting area more of an integrated and finished look. The important thing is not to build a raised bed directly over the exposed roots or to add soil over the top of them. Good luck with your project.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"