The Q&A Archives: New Sod

Question: I just put down new sod about 2 1/2 weeks ago and have been watering pretty frequently. However I've noticed that I'm now getting brown spots on the sod and not sure how to treat it so it's green again. Any advice? Is liquid Revive ok to use?

Answer: You might want to check to make sure the roots of the browning areas are actually making contact with the soil. Sometimes little depressions can keep the roots of the sod from growing into the soil and they can dry up and die even if you're keeping everything watered well. Try to pull up the sod in the browning areas. If it comes up easily, it's not making good contact with the soil. If it is firmly attached then it's rooting okay and the problem might be a fungal disease because those browning areas are a little too low and are holding too much water. A little detective work and you should be able to solve the problem. Revive is an okay product to use if you cannot figure out the cause of the browning. Good luck with your sod.