The Q&A Archives: Pests in the garden

Question: I have watermelon growing in my garden and we actually had a watermelon growing. When I went out to check the garden today the watermelon was gone. What can I do to prevent animals from taking our fruits and veggies from our garden. Our cucumbers are about 2 inches now and the rest of the watermelon plants have flowers still on them, I don't want them disappearing also. Please help!!

Answer: You're probably dealing with creatures rather than birds so I'd suggest fencing the garden with chicken wire, burying it 6" into the soil and making it 2 1/2 feet tall. While you will want to secure it somewhat, if it is flimsy it will keep animals such as raccoons from climbing because it will bend under their weight. Hope this helps!