The Q&A Archives: Stargazer Lilies Bloom Time?

Question: I planted several "Stargazer" lilies 3 years ago from plants in plastic containers. They bloomed beautifully their first year; the deer got them the next year Sad This year I have been faithfully applying deer repellent spray and it appears to be working. I have three TALL stalks, each with about 7 full, gorgeous buds on them. . . so I am obviously very excited.

But I worry, and I forget: shouldn't they have bloomed by now, or is August more likely for my zone (zone 6). I just can't remember any more and I would like to think that these full buds are going to amount to something!

Answer: The blooming season for lilies, though, always varies somewhat from year to year depending on location, microclimate, growing conditions and, of course, the weather in general. This means the bloom time descriptions are really just a guide, not an absolute calendar.

It seems as though many of the later-season lilies are setting buds and blooming much earlier than usual this year, perhaps because of our mild winter. It sounds like your plants are healthy and budding up well, so just try to be patient a little bit longer!

Enjoy your "Stargazers" -- they are worth the wait!