The Q&A Archives: Cactus

Question: I bought a cactus and had it indoors for the winter. I recently put it outdoors and it appears to be doing okay but it is turning red. Is this normal protection from the sun? It gets about 4 - 5 hours full sun daily. I put it outside because someone told me it will grow nicely. It's about 14 inches tall.

Answer: Plants that live in protected environments will sometimes react unfavorably to being put out in the elements. Even though cacti grow in full sunshine in the desert, your plant has been shielded from some of the UV rays in natural sunlight while it was living indoors. You might want to move it to a more protected location; one with bright light, maybe even morning sunshine, but out of direct afternoon sun, until it becomes more accustomed to being out of doors.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"