The Q&A Archives: butterflies

Question: I have Italian parsley that one kind of butterfly already devoured. (it LOOKED like Monarchs) Now I have bright green ones (w/ antannea on their butts) on my tomoates- devouring them. I have 5 tomatoes ready to turn. I have a 45 lbs dog and a 10 lb tabby cat. how can I get rid of the caterpillars?

Answer: The caterpillars on your tomato plants are tomato hornworms, the larvae of a Sphinx moth. These huge, huge caterpillars can devour an entire tomato plant in a single day! It's best to hand pick the creatures but you can also use Bt (bacillus thuringensis) which is sold as Dipel or Thuricide. It is a bacterium which acts as a stomach poison and targets only caterpillars. It is safe around people and pets. Good luck with your tomato plants.