The Q&A Archives: hydrangeas

Question: I have 2 beautiful hydrangeas - blue and white. Is it possible to
change their color, and also when I cut them for vases do I put them in water or no water? Thank you Linda Rioux

Answer: Some hydrangeas will change color according to the soil pH. A somewhat acidic 5.5 should turn them blue, a more alkaline 6.0 should turn them pink with the effect being more intense the more extreme the pH. Pink and red hydrangeas often turn blue or purple in acid soils. Blue hydrangeas can turn pink in alkaline soils. Plants can be made (or kept) blue by applying aluminum sulfate to the soil; plants can be kept pink by liming the soil or applying superphosphate. If you add anything to the soil, do so in February or March. White flowering hydrangeas will remain white regardless of soil pH so you won't be able to change them. For cut flowers, harvest your barely open hydrangea blooms in the early morning and immediately place them in a vase of water. Enjoy your garden!