The Q&A Archives: patio tomato plant

Question: I have a patio tomato plant that I bought from HD.The leaves are turning yellow and the tomatoes seem to have stop getting bigger. Can they be saved?

Answer: It is normal for tomato plants to lose their lower leaves. As the leaves age they turn yellow. But yellowing leaves can also be a sign of overwatering or a need for fertilizer. If you recently transplanted your patio tomato it may just be adjusting to its new spot and has suspended growth until the roots re-establish. I'd continue to give it good care - water thoroughly and then allow the top half inch of soil to dry out between waterings, give it lots of sunshine and a light feeding with a water soluable fertilizer. It should perk up so. Hope you have a great harvest!