The Q&A Archives: Bailey Dogwood has yellowing leaves

Question: My dogwood is getting yellow leaves. What am I doing wrong? I just planted it this spring and keep it well watered.

Answer: Yellowing leaves can indicate heat or water stress or might be signs of a disease. Without seeing the leaves, I can't really diagnose the problem. If the leaves do not have a powdery white coating or brown spots, the most likely culprit is hot summer weather. As your dogwood matures it will be able to tolerate summer heat a little better. Continue to water deeply once or twice a week depending upon weather and be sure that you apply enough water to percolate down and wet the entire root mass. You may have to dig down or use a metal probe to make sure the water is moving down into the top 12-18 inches of the soil which is where the roots will be concentrated. Wish I had more suggestions! Good luck with your dogwood!