The Q&A Archives: full sun plants

Question: What can I plant in a garden that gets full sun all day? Also what is the difference between annuals and perennials? Should I use bulbs or plants to get started?

Answer: There are many plants that will grow well for you from seed, including both perennials and annuals. Popular annuals for full sun would include marigolds, petunias, salvias, zinnias, cosmos and sunflowers of many sorts, as well as many of the "old time" favorites such as nasturtiums, morning glories, celosia, strawflowers and batchelor buttons. Seed-grown easy perennials for full sun might include purple cone-flowers, black-eyed Susans, coreopsis, dianthus, lavender, hollyhocks, shasta daisies, and achillea. The difference between annuals and perennials is that annuals grow, flower, set seed and die all in one growing season; perennials live for 3 or more years. For an instant flower bed, plant plants. You can plant bulbs this fall for growth next spring and you can start seeds of of annuals and perennials at any time during the spring and summer months. Enjoy your garden.