The Q&A Archives: Fall Gardening

Question: I want to try a fall vegetable garden for the first time. Which vegetables will give me the best results?

Answer: There are several advantages to starting a garden in July or August and harvesting in the fall and winter months. Generally you have fewer insect pests to deal with, and fewer weeds in the garden. If the weather cooperates, you don't have to water as often, either. Most any root crop or leafy vegetable will develop in a fall or winter garden. Carrots, beets, turnips, cabbage, kale, broccoli and cauliflower are the best choices. You can grow lettuce and radishes in the fall months, too. Just stay away from crops that must flower to produce veggies (tomatoes, squash, peppers, etc.) Amend the soil with organic matter before planting, and make sure the bed gets adequate moisture each week if there's no natural rainfall.