The Q&A Archives: Planning a garden for spring 2010

Question: Me, and my family are planning a garden for 2010.They will be started in seeds. Here is the list: Zinnia, morning glory, calendula, cosmos, daisy painted, sunflower, flax, and a mixture of poppies. Are they recommended to be started in a garedn together, if so what types of soil(s) should we use. Thank you very much!!!!
P.S. we might include 2 or 3 more annuals?

Answer: Each of the plants you list can be started from seed in February or March in your gardening region. They all prefer sunny spots and if you cut off the dead flowers, most will continue to bloom for you for a long time (except the sunflower - it will not rebloom if you cut off the flower!). Start by amending your garden bed with some organic matter to help loosen the soil and help it retain water. Sow the seeds directly in the garden (or start them in individual pots or flats and transplant them into the garden). Some seeds need light in order to germinate and should be sown on the soil surface. Others need dark and should be covered lightly with some peat moss or compost after sowing. Check the seed packets for details on each type of seed you are sowing. I'd start them all at the same time. Enjoy your garden!