The Q&A Archives: Multi-colored Hot Pepper Plant

Question: I saw a gardening show where they were growing a multi-colored hot pepper plant. I think the peppers were red, yellow/orange and purple and were all on the same plant. They were small and chili-shaped and the effect was very attractive. Do you have any ideas what this plant is called, where I can get one and if it will grow in Massachusetts?

Answer: I expect what you saw was a pepper plant with peppers in various stages of maturity. Peppers start out green and then can turn red, orange, yellow or even purple in maturity. Here's a source of hundreds of pepper plants - contact them for a descriptive catalog: The Pepper Gal, P. O. Box 23006, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33307-3006. Some pepper plants will produce crops in short-season areas. I'm sure you'll find just the right variety!