The Q&A Archives: Okra Not Growing

Question: I planted some okra in May and the plants seem to be doing OK. Flowers are producing well but, when the bloom falls off the orka that is left does not grow but shrivels up in does not grow. Am I doing (or not doing) something wrong?

Answer: It doesn't sound as though the flowers are being pollinated. There are many causes for this - daytime temperatures above 90F or below 55F, or nightime temperatures in the mid-70's can all cause sterile pollen. High temperatures, low light, too much Nitrogen, low humidity, or low temperatures may cause irregular flower or pollen development, all of which can affect fruit production. It's early in the season - my bet is that you'll be harvesting okra in a few short weeks.