The Q&A Archives: Yellow blotches

Question: I have my elephant ear on a southern exposure, it does quite well until it gets large, then it gets yellow blotches on the leaves and they eventually wilt and die. I give it miracle grow every time I water which is about once a week. New growth is healthy. What am I doing wrong?

Answer: Elephant ear plants rarely develop diseases so I wonder if the yellow blotches are sunscald or simply showing signs of aging. As the oldest leaves lose their ability to manufacture and transport energy back into the plant they turn yellow and die off. Evidence of healthy new leaves indicates your plant is healthy so it's most likely that the older leaves have simply served their purpose and are dying back naturally. I would remove the affected leaves as soon as they develop yellow blotches, which will encourage the development of healthy new leaves. Enjoy your garden!