The Q&A Archives: Blackberries In Whiskey Barrels

Question: As an alternative to planting Blackberries in my vegetable garden I was wondering how they would do in large whiskey barrel containers. Would this be a good way to control their wild growth?

Answer: Blackberries can be grown in whiskey barrels, but you'll need to drill ample drainage holes in the bottom of the container prior to planting so the soil will drain well. Since blackberries are brambles, they're likely to reach out with their canes, which will eventually fall down and around the sides of the barrel. This may make watering difficult. Consider adding some sort of support when you plant your blackberries, and tie the canes up out of the way as they grow. Other than the above, the plants should be quite happy growing in whiskey barrels. Happy harvest!