The Q&A Archives: What plants could I plant that like a lot of water and sun?

Question: I have an area in my yard that has full sun and a spring running under it. The spring is making the grass so wet and sponge like. What plants could I plant in this area to soak up the water?

Answer: There are a number of trees and shrubs suitable for growing in damp or wet soils, and a few ornamental grasses, as well. Metasequoia (Dawn Redwood), Aspen, Phyllostachys nigra (Black Bamboo), Felipendula (Martha Washington Plume), Pontederia cordata (Pickerel Weed), Butomus umbellatus (Flowering Rush), Iris laevigata, Arrowhead, Kaffir Lily, Michaelmus daisy, Viburnum opulus (Snowball Bush), Caltha palustris (Marsh Marigold), and Cornus alba 'Elegantissima' (Red-barked Dogwood) are a few such plants. Hope these suggestion get you started in the right direction!