The Q&A Archives: Australian Bottle Brush Plant

Question: Please can you advise me the true name of the above plant which is at present growing in my small garden? I would like if this plant is best grown on from cuttings or from seed.

Answer: Callistemon is the botanical name of the plant commonly known as the Bottle Brush. It's a shrub, native to Australia, that has colorful dense spikes or round clusters of flowers, usually long and bristle-like, which gives the plant it's common name. Plants are best propagated by cuttings taken in the spring and dipped in rooting hormone, then placed in sandy potting soil. Keep the soil moist and place the cuttings in a shady, protected area outdoors all summer. The plants will develop new leaves once they've rooted, and you can transplant them out into the garden.