The Q&A Archives: How do I keep a blue rose blue

Question: I ordered and received what is supposed to be a Blue Girl Rose. The first I got turned out to be lavender . They sent another to replace the Blue Girl and when it bloomed it is rose colored. Is something wrong with my soil? I have yellow roses, light pink etc. They will send me another next March. Do I need to amend my soil. Thank you. Or did they just send the wrong rose

Answer: Though many plants declare to grow blue flowers, few really do. However, with a little manipulation, your Blue Girl rose can be made to appear blue. The Blue Girl is a hybrid tea rose. It is actually a silver, lilac-lavender color, yet it does turn gray-blue in color. According to the plant tag, "Make sure to grow the Blue Girl rose bush in full sun if you want the roses to be as true blue as possible. The sunshine fades the bloom's color so they appear more blue-gray than lavender." Additional tag information suggests "Cut the stem of a full bloom of the Blue Girl rose about 8 inches. Place the stem in a vase filled with a mixture of blue food coloring. The stem will absorb the blue water and turn the rose blue."