The Q&A Archives: bugs

Question: in my backyard i have little black bugs on my plants i tried the

Answer: Flea beetles are small, black or brown beetles that jump when disturbed. The adults chew small holes or pits in leaves. Wounded tissue may be more susceptible to diseases such as early blight. Most plants outgrow flea beetle damage. "Trap Crops" work in some situations. Plant a highly favored crop to attract flea beetles away from the main crop. In isolated plantings, thick mulches may also help reduce the number of flea beetles by interfering with activity of the root and soil stages. Flea beetles can be vacuumed off foliage, but this practice must be repeated frequently. Diatomaceous earth (organic) is one of the more effective repellents, applied as a dry powder to the plants. Horticultural oils and some neem insecticides also have some repellent effect on this insect. Look for Bio-Neem or other neem oil based insecticides in your garden center.