The Q&A Archives: Squirrel induced tomato transplant?

Question: I have a backyard garden in Brooklyn.Every time a tomato begins to ripen it's taken by a squirrel. I've tried hot pepper/garlic sprays and no change. I've seen some people in my area growing tomatoes in pots in front of their homes where there are no squirrels. I'm thinking about doing this but worried that the plants won't survive the transplant from ground to pot... should i be?

Answer: If your plants are performing well in the ground, I'd hesitate to move them. How about placing a cage around the plants to keep the squirrels from stealing the tomatoes? You can use chicken wire or hardware cloth and make cylinders out of the material. If you bury it 6" into the ground and make the cylinders tall enough to go around and above your plants, you can crimp the top closed to keep the critters out. Or, drive stakes into the ground and attach bird netting, sealing it at the top to protect your plants. Hope one of these cages works well to keep the critters out of your plants!